Most drivers have, at one time or another, suffered a breakdown but most of us do now not put together for this eventuality. If you are amongst the lucky ones who have in no way experienced a breakdown, it is nonetheless a right idea to be prepared for it and to remain safe. Just due to the fact you are desirable driver and carrier your vehicle regularly, do not anticipate that you will no longer journey any breakdown. A puncture or blowout can manifest to any automobile and older the car, the increased its chances of a breakdown.
Steps You Can Take Before the Breakdown
The tired cliche of “prevention is higher than cure” is additionally apt for these situations. Here are some hints that will allow you to be organized for such an eventuality:
– Get breakdown or recovery cover in your insurance. Its every year expenses quantity to pennies a day whilst price and trouble of dealing with an uninsured breakdown are ten instances more.
– Keep a red hazard warning triangle and a water resistant yellow fluorescent vest in your car. It will come handy in excessive visitors roads and highways and might also even retailer your life. It is additionally a requirement in many countries.
– Keep a small pocket book in your glove compartment with the emergency roadside assistance numbers as properly as numbers for police, insurance, hearth and ambulance. Make sure you additionally have these numbers tucked on a small card in your cellular and brought as contacts in your clever phone.
– Keep more trade in a small Ziploc bag to make a phone call in case there is no cellular sign or cellular battery dies.
– Keep a map to pick out your location. A lot of humans consider maps obsolete and count as a substitute on satellite navigation instrument in their automobile or nav apps on their smartphone but if you are in the boonies and cannot get signals, a trusty map is constantly on-line and prepared to assist.
– Keep an extra battery for your cell in case its battery dies on you. As referred to above, keep all emergency contact numbers on it. Write essential numbers on a small card and keep it tucked inner cellular phone’s cover.
– Make an emergency bag together with all the necessities as water, snacks, blankets and first useful resource kits. Include anything else you can think of. Also maintain some walking shoes in the trunk in case you have to walk some distance.
Breaking Down on the Highway
A breakdown on a toll road can be quite dangerous. Fast transferring vehicles are whizzing through as you begin experiencing problem. Do no longer wait for a complete breakdown, however pull over to the hard shoulder as soon as the first signs and symptoms of a large problem comes to your notice. Even if you breakdown try to coast to difficult shoulder.
Once safely on the tough shoulder, put on hazard lights and flip the wheels in away from the lanes and passing traffic. Play it secure now and get out of the car from the passenger facet as quickly as possible. Move over as a good deal as feasible toward the roadside barrier and make a call. Note your function from roadside posts, sat nav system or map and call for help. If a SOS telephone is nearby, it is nice to use it to name for help as assist workforce is aware of exactly the place that telephone is and can detect you easily.
Never ever attempt to restore a flat tire or make any sort of repairs on a busy motorway no count number how trivial. Wait for help to arrive.
Breaking Down on Other Roads
Situation is generally now not as unsafe right here as on highway but caution is nonetheless advisable. The first factor you need to do is to park it in a protected place, turn on your hazard lights and then decide your location. If it is a busy road and you are blockading a section of the avenue then set up a hazard warning triangle some 50 yards behind your car. First, put on your hazard jacket though. Now it is time to make the call.
If the site visitors is thin and you are out of harm’s way however are in an unfamiliar area, it is higher to remain in a locked car and wait for assist to arrive.